Your Passport to a Better Travel Insurance deal

Whether you’re planning a short city break, a week in the sun, a shopping trip to the States or a week on the slopes, then First Ireland has travel insurance options for you. We’ve made finding cheap holiday insurance easy with our online insurance options for travellers aged up to 86 years!

Choose from either our single trip or annual multi trip packages and select the cover that suits you and your pocket!
Call us for travel insurance options for travellers aged 87+

Try Our Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance Options

  • Travel Insurance over 70’s

  • Ski Travel Insurance

  • Backpackers Travel Insurance

  • Cancellation or Curtailment

  • Travel Insurance for Senior Holidaymakers

  • 24/7 Worldwide Emergency Assistance

  • Missed Departures or Connections

  • Personal Luggage

  • Trip Abandonment

  • Winter Sports Insurance Option

  • Personal Money & Documents

  • Personal Accident

  • Personal Liability

  • Legal Expenses

  • Discount for Private Health Insurance Customers

Travel Insurance F.A.Q.

Our Insurer, InsureandGo Ireland has listed the answers to their most Frequently Asked Questions. However it is important that you check your own policy schedule and document to clarify the cover applying to your own policy.

Contact Details

First Ireland is delighted to partner with InsureandGo Ireland to provide our customers with quality travel insurance. If you have a question which is not answered or if you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact InsureandGo Ireland directly.

Customer Service Department
091 545 904
Query by Email
Website address

How do I make a complaint?

InsureandGo Ireland are committed to providing you with exceptional customer service however, if you have a complaint or enquiry please get in touch and we will try to put things right:

By Post
Customer Service Department
InsureandGo Ireland
22-26 Prospect Hill
By Telephone
091 545 904

What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

If you are aged 66-86 inclusive we can cover you although the maximum trip duration is 31 days. This above applies to both Single Trip and Annual Multi Trip policy

What is a resident of the Republic of Ireland? Are you able to cover non-Republic of Ireland residents?

We define a resident of the Republic of Ireland as being someone who has been living in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 of the last 12 months. If you do not fit this criteria, please visit our sister site,

Can you insure non-Republic of Ireland residents?

As long as you have been living in the Republic of Ireland for at least 6 of the last 12 months, we can provide you with cover.

I've left the Republic of Ireland and forgotten to get insurance. Can I still get cover with you?

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover you if you have already left the Republic of Ireland.

What ages do I put down when getting a quote?

Please enter your current ages. It does not matter if you have a birthday after you buy the policy; we just need your ages at the time your purchase the policy.

If I purchase online, are my details secure?

Data protection is taken very seriously. When you submit your personal and payment details to us online, they are encrypted to ensure that no-one else can read them. You can confirm this by looking for the padlock icon which appears either next to the address bar or in the status bar on the payment page. We also hold your details according to the General Data Protection Act (GDPR). Please note that we do not hold your payment details.

How can I pay for my travel insurance?

You can pay for your travel insurance using a credit or debit card, or by cheque. We accept the following credit and debit cards:VISA, MasterCard, VISA Debit Card, Laser Card. Payments by credit or debit card are instant but may take time to show on your statement.

When should I start my travel insurance?

If you are purchasing Single Trip or Long Stay travel insurance, you will need to start your policy on the day that you leave to go on your trip. Cover for cancellation on these policies starts from the date of purchase. If you are purchasing an Annual Multi Trip, you are only covered from the date you choose to start your policy.

Can children aged under 18 be covered on their own policy?

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide insurance for children aged under 18 who are not travelling with a responsible adult.

I am having trouble paying online. Can you help me?

If you are having trouble paying for your travel insurance online, make sure you check all of your personal and payment details. Ensure you have selected the correct card type and entered your full card number. Check the expiry and/or valid from date has been entered correctly. Also, make sure you have entered the correct security code (CVC). This code is the last three digits shown on the back of your card over the signature strip. If you are still having problems processing your payment, please contact our Customer Service Department.

What are my cancellation rights?

Once you have purchased your travel insurance, subject to the condition detailed in the note below, you are entitled to a 14 day cooling-off period. If you cancel during the cooling-off period, you are entitled to a full refund of your travel insurance policy, provided you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy. To cancel your travel insurance and claim your refund, you will need to contact us in writing or by e-mail. To cancel by e-mail, send your request to

To cancel by post, send a letter to:
Customer Service Department
Insure&Go Ireland Ltd
Ireland Assist House
22-26 Prospect Hill

The travel agent/tour operator/airline company that I booked with has gone into administration. What should I do?

If you have lost your holiday, we will change the dates on your insurance policy to cover your new holiday. To arrange this, please contact our customer service team within 30 days of the travel company going into administration.

How many times can I go away if I have an Annual Multi Trip policy?

When you buy an Annual Multi Trip policy you are covered to go away as many times as you want up to a maximum of 183 days. Don't forget however that there is a maximum per trip duration - 31 days for Bronze policies, 45 days for Gold policies, and 60 days for Platinum policies. If you are aged 66 and over, the maximum trip duration is 31 days.

Can we all travel independently on an Annual Multi Trip policy?

Yes, everyone on an Annual Multi Trip policy is entitled to travel independently, but children under 18 who travel alone must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged over 21.

What happens when my Annual Multi Trip policy expires?

We will write to you 31 days before your Annual Multi Trip policy expires to remind you that your policy is coming up for renewal. If you have any questions about your renewal, please call our Customer Service Department to speak to a member of our sales team.

When does the cover begin and end on my policy?

If you have purchased a Single Trip or Long Stay policy, you are covered for cancellation of your trip from and including the date of purchase. If you have purchased an Annual Multi Trip policy, cover only starts on the chosen start date of your policy. For example, if you chose to start your Annual Multi Trip on the 1st December, you will not be covered if you need to cancel your holiday on any date before the 1st December.

What is the maximum trip length?

You can take out a Single Trip policy for up to a maximum of 365 days if you are aged 65 or under. If you take out an Annual Multi-Trip policy, you are covered for any trip not exceeding 31 days (Bronze policies), 45 days (Gold policies) or 60 days (Platinum policies), if you are aged 65 or under. If you are aged 66 and over, we will only cover you for up to 31 days for each trip.

What is an excess?

The excess is the amount that you would need to pay towards a claim. For example, if you make a claim of €100 and the excess is €60, you will only be able to claim back the remaining €40. The excess amount is displayed in the policy wording booklet.

What are the terms and conditions?

You must make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy carefully so you know what you are covered for. You can download a PDF copy of the policy wording booklet at the link at the top of our website.

Are there any exclusions to the policy?

There are some exclusions that apply to the cover. To check the policy exclusions, take a look at the policy wording booklet that is relevant to the policy that you have/are interested in purchasing. You can download a copy of the policy wording booklet from our website.

Am I covered for cancellation?

All of our travel insurance policies include cover for cancellation of your trip. To read the terms and conditions that apply to cancellation cover, please read the relevant policy wording booklet.

What is the definition of Personal Accident?

Under the Personal Accident section of your insurance, we will pay you or your executors or administrators up to the maximum limit as defined by your policy, if you are involved in an accident during your trip which causes you an injury, and this accident is the only thing that results in you becoming disabled within 12 months of the date of the accident. We will pay for the following:
Your permanent total disability
Losing one or more of your limbs (a permanent loss at or above the wrist or ankle)
Irrecoverable loss of sight in one or both eyes for a period of at least 12 months
If you die, we will pay the maximum amount as defined on your policy (this is limited for children aged under 16 years of age and adults over 65 years of age)

If you have further questions about Personal Accident cover, please contact our Customer Service Department by phone or email.

I've lost my documents. How do I retrieve them?

If you have lost your policy documents, you can retrieve them online. Just enter your quote number and e-mail address to access your documents. If you would like your documents resent through the post or you have forgotten your quote number or if you have any other problems accessing your documents online, please contact our Customer Service Department by phone or email.

What do I do if my passport is lost or stolen abroad?

You should report any loss or thefts of passports to the local police in the country you are in as soon as possible. You will need the crime reference details they provide for the APS1 (which is the Lost or Stolen Passport Notification) form. You should also report the loss or theft to the Irish embassy of the country you are in. You can get details of your local Irish embassy wherever you are by visiting the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs. The Irish embassy will issue you with replacement travel documents so you can travel back.

When will my documents arrive through the post?

Normally, allow between 5 to 10 working days between you buying your policy and your documents being received in the post. However, we do always aim for your policy pack to be with you sooner. You can still travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents if the posted documents don't arrive in time.

I have not received a policy card for the other travellers on my policy. Why is this?

When you buy your policy, only one policy card in the name of the main traveller is sent out. If you would like to purchase a policy card for any additional travellers, you will need to pay €2.50 for each card. Please phone our customer service team.

What do I need to take on holiday with me?

We advise that you take your travel insurance certificate and the relevant policy wording booklet away with you. You may travel with a printed copy of your emailed documents. If you are unable to print your emailed documents, simply write down your policy number and the emergency medical assistance and claims line telephone numbers from the back of our policy wording booklets which can be found here.

How is my policy delivered?

We can deliver your policy by post and by e-mail. We can also send you your policy details in a text message to your mobile phone. Please be aware that the posted documents can take 5 to 10 working days to arrive. The e-mailed documents can take up to 5 minutes to arrive in your inbox. There is an additional charge to have your documents posted.

What countries do our policies cover?

Our travel insurance policies are broken down into the following geographical areas:
Area 1: Republic of Ireland, England, the United Kingdom and the Channel Islands*
Area 2: Europe, including countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea (except Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya)**
Area 3: Worldwide, excluding USA and Canada
Area 4: Worldwide, including USA and Canada
If you are unsure which area your trip falls into, contact our Customer Service Department by phone or email.  

* Trips within Area 1 must consist of pre-booked accommodation for two or more nights.

** Europe consists of Albania, Andorra, Austria, The Azores, The Balearic Islands, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia, Bulgaria, The Canary islands, The Channel islands, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Lapland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia (Moscow), San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Sicily, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Republic of Ukraine (Kiev), the United Kingdom, and Vatican City.

What area do Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia come under on your policies?

The countries of Egypt, the Canary Islands, Morocco and Tunisia can be covered with our European travel insurance policies. Please note that Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya are not included in our European policies and can be covered on our Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) and Worldwide (inc. USA and Canada) areas.

Where is Lapland?

The Lapland region stretches across Finland and Sweden and is included under our European travel insurance policies.

What if I am travelling to more than one country?

We can cover you to travel to multiple destinations as part of one trip. A trip is considered to be from the date that you leave your home country until the date that you return to your home country (or your final destination if it is a one-way trip). You need to ensure that the policy covers you for all the regions that you plan to travel to and certain terms and conditions will apply. For example, if you will be travelling to India, stopping off for a week in Bulgaria, you will need to choose the Worldwide (exc. USA and Canada) as this area includes both of those countries. For more information see policy wording booklets or call our Customer Service Department to speak with a member of our team.

I am travelling to Cuba. Will I need to purchase additional medical cover upon entry?

No. Provided you have a travel insurance policy with us with cover for medical expenses included, you will not need to purchase additional cover.

Who do I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Call our medical emergency line at +353 91 545908. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have pre-existing medical conditions. Can I get cover for these on my policy too?

You can declare your conditions quickly and easily using the online medical screening system or, if you would prefer to speak to us directly, call our Customer Service Department.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

A pre-existing medical condition is any medical or psychological sickness, disease, condition, injury or symptom of which you are aware, or that has affected you or any close relative, travelling companion or person with whom you intend to stay with during the course of your trip, which has required treatment, medical consultation(s) or investigation(s), or prescribed medication at any time during the last two years prior to the commencement of cover under this policy and/or prior to each and every trip. You must inform us of any pre-existing medical conditions you have before purchasing insurance or of any which occurs between the date the policy is incepted and the date of departure. To do so, please use the quick and easy online medical screening system or call our Customer Service Department.

If cover is refused for my pre-existing medical condition, am I still covered?

If, subject to our simple medical screening questions, cover is refused for your pre-existing medical condition, then only claims relating to that medical condition are excluded. The rest of your travel insurance cover will not be affected by this exclusion.

I already have a policy but I've recently been diagnosed with a new medical condition. What do I do?

If you already have a policy and there has been a change in your medical status, please call our Customer Service Department.

I have a European Health Insurance Card (formerly known as an E111). Do I still need travel insurance?

The European Health Insurance Card (which used to be called the E111) entitles the holder to free or reduced cost emergency treatment within the following EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus (but not in North Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

Is dental treatment covered?

Our policies provide limited cover for emergency dental treatment to enable you to immediately relieve pain. Please refer to your policy schedule for the limits applicable to your policy.

What if I have Private Health Insurance?

A discount is available if all the insured persons hold an eligible Private Health Insurance policy for the duration of the policy. The Private Health Insurance policy must provide cover for in-patient medical treatment abroad of at least €55,000 per person per claim. If you want to make a medical claim while you are abroad and have received a discount on your policy with us, you must claim against your Private Health Insurance policy first. The benefits payable under your travel insurance policy will only top up the amount payable under your Private Health Insurance policy up to the medical expenses limit in your travel insurance policy.

I have a European Annual Multi Trip policy but I will now be travelling outside of Europe. Can I upgrade my policy?

Certain non-European countries like Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and Tunisia are included under our European policies. If you're not travelling to one of these countries you can upgrade your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover for an additional premium. Please call our Customer Service Department to arrange this. Alternatively, you can purchase a separate Single Trip policy but upgrading your Annual Multi Trip policy to include worldwide cover might work out cheaper.

I need to amend the address or contact details on my policy. How can I do this?

If you need to amend the address or contact details on your travel insurance policy, please contact our Customer Service Department. We will be able to amend the details on your policy at no extra charge and also resend the amended documents to you by post or by e-mail.

Can I change the names of the insured persons on my policy before I travel?

If you need to amend the name of one of the travellers before you go, you can do so. Please note that we would need confirmation of the name change (for example, a marriage or Deed Poll certificate). We can only change the name of a traveller, if their new name is reflected on their passport and we are unable to replace travellers with another person. Please contact our Customer Service Department by phone or email if you wish to amend a traveller's name.

Can I extend my cover while I’m away?

You can extend the cover on your single trip travel insurance policy while you're away, providing there are no pending claims against the policy. Policies can be extended only once and you will need to pay an additional premium for the extended cover. If you need to extend your policy, please contact our Customer Service Department by phone or email. Trip extensions cannot be provided on annual multi trip policies.

Am I covered for scuba diving when I go travelling?

Scuba diving is covered free on all our travel insurance policies for up to 14 days, provided you are qualified and that you will be diving no deeper than 30 metres. If you are not a qualified scuba diver or you are qualified but will be diving more than 30 metres, you will need to pay an additional premium for each day you will be scuba diving. To add this cover on to your travel insurance policy, please call our Customer Service Department.

Am I covered for bungee jumping when I go travelling?

Yes, you are covered for up to 3 bungee jumps free on all of our travel insurance policies.

Am I covered for white water rafting when I go travelling?

Our policy covers white or black water rafting (grades 1 to 3) free on all our travel insurance policies. If you will be taking part in white or black water rafting (grades 5 to 6), you will need to pay an additional premium. Please call our Customer Services Department to add this cover on to your policy.

I will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no personal accident/personal liability cover for. What does this mean?

If you will be doing an activity that the terms and conditions state there is no Personal Accident or Personal Liability cover for, it is just these two sections of your travel insurance that will be excluded. If you have an accident and injure yourself, you will still be covered for medical expenses, but you will not be able to claim under the separate Personal Accident or Personal Liability sections.

What activities are covered with your winter sports travel insurance?

Our policy covers all of the following activities in our winter sports travel insurance:
Cat skiing
Cross-country skiing
Glacier walking or trekking
Ice skating
Mono skiing
Off-piste skiing
Off-piste snowboarding
Recreational ski or snowboard racing

While taking part in off-piste skiing and snowboarding, you must make sure that the areas in which you ski or snowboard are considered to be safe by the resort management. The following are defined as extreme ski activities:
Freestyle skiing
Ice hockey
Ski acrobatics
Ski racing or training (non-professional)
Ski stunting

If you will be taking part in any of these extreme ski activities, you will need to pay an additional premium to be covered. To arrange this, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Do you cover mountain rescue?

Mountain rescue is covered on our policy provided you have paid the appropriate winter sports premium, or you have arranged an Annual Multi Trip which includes winter sports cover for free.

Do you provide travel insurance cover for a whole season?

If you are looking for cover for the whole season, you can be covered with our Long Stay policies, which can cover trips of up to 12 months. Winter sports cover is available on all of these policies.

Am I covered if I am a ski instructor or if I am going to ski instructor school?

Unfortunately, we can only cover ski and ski training on a non-professional basis.

Am I covered for more extreme winter sports activities, like heli-skiing or ice hockey?

We can cover you for winter sports activities such as recreational skiing or snowboarding if you have paid the additional winter sports premium or if you have arranged Annual Multi Trip cover. If you are under 50, we can also cover you to take part in the following extreme ski activities if you pay the appropriate extra premium:
Ski acrobats
Ski stunting
Freestyle skiing
Ski racing and training (non-professional)
Ice hockey

If you will be taking part in an extreme ski activity, please contact our Customer Service Department.

Making a Claim

Making a travel claim is easy with our insurer and we’ve listed their suite of claims below, just download the claim for that is most relevant to your claim. Please complete the claim form in full, and send it along with all the required original supporting documentation to process your claim to the address noted on your form. However, if receipts cannot be obtained, claims will still be considered provided there is some form of proof of purchase or ownership. If you have any further questions, please contact their claims team by phone on 091 545 907 or email

Please note that you will need to notify your claim within 31 days of the end of your trip. Once you have registered your claim with InsureandGo Ireland, this time limit no longer applies.

24-Hour Medical Emergency Assistance

It is important that you refer to the terms and conditions of your own policy document for full details of cover that applies to your policy. In the event of a medical emergency, and where you have the appropriate cover, then you must contact InsureandGo Irelands’ emergency service on 00 353 91 545 908 as quickly as possible. They operate a 24 hour service, 365 days a year.

In the case of an emergency and where you are physically unable to contact them as a result of that emergency, then you or someone appointed by you must contact them within 48 hours, otherwise your claim may not be paid. You must get the prior authorisation of InsureandGo Ireland before acquiring any expenses over €500, curtailing or extending your trip due to bodily injury or illness.

Claim Forms

Baggage Delay, Baggage & Money Claim

Cancellation Claim

Cutting Your Trip Short Claim

Personal Liabilities, Personal Accident and Legal Expenses

Medical Emergency & Associated Expenses

Travel Delay & Missed Departure

Ski Equipment, Ski Hire, Ski Pack, & Piste Closure

Travel Tips & Hints

  • Make a list of what to pack - e.g. adaptors, chargers, batteries etc. See Top Tips for Packing

  • Don’t forget your passport

  • Print your Boarding pass and Confirmation of Booking invoice

  • Ziplock bag

  • Leave copies of your documents with someone at home OR email a copy to your smart phone (tickets, passport, visas, E111, travel insurance, driving licence etc.)

  • Don’t forget to do your in-flight exercises

In-Flight Exercises

  • Heel Raises: Sit with feet flat on the floor, about hip-width apart. Lift heels so that only toes and the balls of the feet are on the floor. Hold for 5-10 seconds and lower feet back to the ground. Repeat 10 times

  • Toe Lifts: Sit with feet flat on the floor, about hip-width apart. Lift toes and balls of the feet so that only the heels are on the floor. Hold for 5-10 seconds and lower feet back to the ground. Repeat 10 times

  • Ankle Circles: While sitting, lift right leg slightly off the ground and rotate the foot clockwise, making a circle in the air. Do this 15 times clockwise, then 15 times counter-clockwise. Repeat with left leg and foot. Alternatively, trace the letters of the alphabet in the air with the right, and then the left, foot

  • Back Twists: While sitting, reach the right arm across the body and grab the left armrest. Slowly turn the torso and head as far to the left as is comfortable. Hold for 5-10 seconds, repeat five times, and then switch sides

  • Curl Downs: While sitting, pull stomach and chin in _ and gently curl trunk down very slowly, reaching hands to the floor. Hold for 5-10 seconds then uncurl slowly back up. Repeat five times

  • Overhead Stretches: Stand and reach arms straight up and stretch. Slowly lean to the left, then to the right, bending at the waist. Repeat this action five times to each side, holding each for 5-10 seconds. If you are unable to stand and stretch, then reach arms straight up while seated. If you have room, slowly stretch to each side as well

About First Ireland

First Ireland is proud to be a fully 100% Irish owned and operated company.

We are one of the largest brokerages in Ireland. All our resources are dedicated to, and all our business strategies are aimed at meeting the needs of our valued customers in Ireland. They’re the only ones we have. We now employ over 130 people at First Ireland and our extensive client list extends from individuals to large corporations.